Roy, Sheena, D, K, A, C and L

Roy, Sheena, D, K, A, C and L

Visit My Friend Melanie -- She's AMAZING!


Our Family Photographer

Our Family Photographer
Marissa Gifford Photography

Sunday, July 12, 2009

The long awaited birth story...

Really, I have tried to do this several times before. Blogger and I have been fighting over getting pictures posted and publishing posts. I think we are friends again. I hope.

So how it happened. . .
Tuesday morning I stood up out of the recliner and felt a sort of pop in my abdomen. A few seconds later there was leakage of water like fluids. I figured I had broken my water but nothing else was leaking out. I wasn't having contractions, so I just decided to go about my merry way, figuring that if my water had indeed broken, it would become apparent soon enough.
Grandma and took the kids to the 'fire-truck park'. While there, I started having contractions. Nothing serious. Nothing to even call Roy about. I tried timing them. They were anywhere from 7-15 minutes apart lasting for 30 seconds to a minute. They were uncomfortable but really no big deal pain wise.
Head home for lunch. Contractions still the same, no more leakage of water. I knew this baby would be born today, but it seemed she was in no hurry to get the ball rolling. Finally, around 2:30 or 3 ish I called Roy. Even though things weren't really progressing quickly I decided we should head to the hospital and at least find out what was going on. Besides, last time I waited until my contractions were regular and had a baby 3 hours and 20 minutes later. Didn't want to do that again!
Roy, remember last time, rushes home slightly frantic. I reassure him and we head out. D was very excited. K was alseep.
At the hospital, the nurse confirms that it was indeed amniotic (sp?) fluid that had leaked so they admit me. Contractions are still irregular and really not that bad. After confirming to every person in the hospital at least three times (really, I felt like such a wimp every time they would ask) that my birth plan DEFINITELY included the epidural, I got an IV going. I'm hanging out in the hospital bed or bouncing on a 'birthing ball'. Roy's watching TV. Finally at 6:30ish I page the nurse. I figure, even though I'm still not regular, my contractions are getting harder and maybe the doctor could come check for dialation. We really don't want to miss the epidural window.
Doctor comes in about 7. Checks for dialation. Pronounces me at 10cm. Explains that my water had not actually broken as it was still in tact -- must have been a small foresack of water. Talks fast about how all he has to do is break my water and this baby will come. Epidural not a great options. I've already made it through the hard part. (LIAR) Think how after delivery my "legs would be my own". (He failed to mention what else would also be my own.)
Finally after a few minutes of such discussion I tell the doctor that he can break my water if he stands right there at the end of the bed because this baby is coming out now. I am not going to lay here for an hour. He agrees that this is okay because I'm ready.
Doctor breaks my water, next contraction WHOA! I am defintely ready to push. Basically I remember looking at the clock during our discussion to see that it is 7:20. At 7:50 baby Pyatt number 3 arrived in this world. (I was totally not kidding when I said that if he popped my water I was getting this baby out.)
All told
real labor: unknown since they usually count that as when your water breaks or when your contraction become hard and regular neither of which really happened
pushing: 15 minutes
baby: 8 lbs 6 oz, 20in

For anyone keeping track, this means I now belong to that group of insane people who have had a natural child birth since the advent of the epidural. I don't know if it really counts because it was SOOO not my plan.


Valerie said...

It totally, totally counts even if it wasn't in your plan to do it without the epidural. I know, because that's what happened with #3 for me as well! I'm so glad everything went well and that you've got her OUT now ;)

Natalie said...

Congratulations on #3 her brother and sister look very proud! It defiantly counts as natural and you are one tough chick for doing it!

Richins Family said...

I don't know how I missed your posts, but I have! You are so tough! I am proud of you! I don't think I could do it without the epidural. She is a cutie!

Melanie said... go girl. Of course it counts. Awesome! Now I know why you were so sore when your family came to visit. He he!