Roy, Sheena, D, K, A, C and L

Roy, Sheena, D, K, A, C and L

Visit My Friend Melanie -- She's AMAZING!

melaniesmethodicalmusings

Our Family Photographer

Our Family Photographer
Marissa Gifford Photography

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Skate Night

After 3 days of excited anticipation, this night did not turn out exactly how I'd envisioned. Still, we managed to have fun.

Earlier today I called a friend to come too. I knew Roy would be working late and wasn't sure he would make it at all and I didn't want to go alone. So my friend and her four kids came too. It was great. Her youngest daughter is D's age and they are good friends from primary. They go to a different school though.

We got there (after about 2 hours of "Is it time to go yet? How about now? How much longer?") about 20 minutes after the doors had opened. The rink wasn't too crowded. It never did get very crowded. Good for us, bad for business. When we walked in it was just like every other skating rink I have ever been to. Why do they always smell funny? Is it the skates? And why are they always older than dirt? These are things I wonder....

We spent 15 minutes getting D's skates on only to realize they didn't tighten the wheels so the wheels are spinning waaaay too easily for my kid. Unfortunately they can't tighten the wheels without him taking the skates off. of course.

Finally, everyone is skated up. D, K and I all have wheels strapped to our feet and off we go to the wood floor. I'm sure we looked a sight-- me with one kid in each hand. I think we did okay though.
K ended up going around a few times before being "done". D went around once and became very upset. He spent much of the night crying because he felt he wasn't skating. He was just walking with wheels on. ?!? That's basically what skating is! Especially when you're 6 and you haven't skated at all in the last 2 years!!
So. That was frustrating. I finally was able to talk him down from that. Naturally there was about 2 songs left at that point.

Roy was able to make it about 1/2 way through the evening. That was fun.

Oh yeah. When we got there, some ladies from the PTA were tallying how many came from each class. The class who had the most attendence will recieve a party. Because of the friends who came with us, D's class totally won! We had 9 skaters. I think his class gets ice cream or something like that.

"Please, somebody, let me out of this thing. I want to skate too."

When K saw I wanted to take her picture she tried to cross her legs. Because her skate was so heavy, she had to lift her leg with her hands to get it over her other knee. I wish I had that on video!

No comments: