Roy, Sheena, D, K, A, C and L

Roy, Sheena, D, K, A, C and L

Visit My Friend Melanie -- She's AMAZING!


Our Family Photographer

Our Family Photographer
Marissa Gifford Photography

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Oy Vey

We've had a bit of a crazy week and a half.  On the 14th, Roy received a phone call from the Stake President's secretary.  (A stake president is a spiritual lay leader over a geographical region of the LDS church.)  The SP wanted to meet with Roy and I the following Sunday after church.  That's 4 days of "what does this mean?"  "He could just want to see how things are going with us....."  "Oh man, I know they're planning to reorganize the Bishopric (a group of 3 lay leaders over a smaller geographical area under the umbrella of a stake).  What if you're the new Bishop?"  "Please for the love of Mike let it be Sunday already!"
Sunday finally came and we were able to meet with President B.  He is such a great man and I truly enjoy being in his presence.  He explained that the Lord was asking Roy to serve as 1st Counselor in the new Bishopric that would be announced next Sunday.  Of course, we said yes.
Now started the week long wait until the new changes were announced.  The change in our Bishopric wasn't the only change the stake was making so there was actually going to be a special evening meeting held after church on Sunday, November 18.
As part of Roy's calling to the Bishopric, he needed to be ordained to the priesthood office of High Priest.  So Roy invited his dad up to ordain him.  Much to our pleased surprise, he came!  Grandpa Pyatt flew in Thursday morning (Nov 15).  Grandpa Pyatt hasn't flown in over 20 years so this was BIG deal for him.  He had to change planes at one point which was stressing him out.  However, for anyone who knows my FIL, he likes to talk and so made friends with his seatmates on the first plane who walked him to the gate for his second plane.
We had Grandpa with us for 4 days.  The kids thought this was just great although they missed having Grandma come too.  She recently had knee surgery and it was probably better she didn't try to come up.  Traveling on her knee would probably have not been a good idea.
So last Sunday, we had the special meeting where Roy was sustained by what turned out to be all the adults in the stake (who came to the meeting).  Then after the meeting we waited for the SP to come set the new Bishopric apart.  It was a very spiritual and wonderful meeting.  I have no doubt that Bishop Swanger, Roy and Brother Engstrom are the right men for our ward leadership and this time.
Today was our first Sunday with Roy on the stand.  The kids and I reviewed some ground rules before we went to church.  Such as, no going up on the stand, no tantrums, one wave per meeting and no standing on the bench to wave and shouting, "Hi Daddy!".  These are very important guidelines to make clear for each of them.  Things went smoothly for the most part.  The kids were great.  One of Roy's responsibilities is to raise and lower the lecturn and make sure it is operating properly.  This will take some practice!  But really, I'm so proud of him.  Is that okay to say?  I am.  I'm proud of his dedication and commitment to the Lord.  I know that Roy has the leadership and social talents to help people.  I have no doubt he will do much learning and growing through this experience but I know he's up for the challenge.

1 comment:

Richins Family said...

What a great time for your family! I love that Roy's dad was able to be there and be apart of that. A very special memory for sure. He will do a great job. I especially loved all the rules for the kids. The one wave a meetings is my fav, but kids have to do it, so why not limit it! :) I hope all is well for you and that you are feeling well! I think you are all great!!