Roy, Sheena, D, K, A, C and L

Roy, Sheena, D, K, A, C and L

Visit My Friend Melanie -- She's AMAZING!

melaniesmethodicalmusings

Our Family Photographer

Our Family Photographer
Marissa Gifford Photography

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanksgiving!

Today was Thanksgiving.  We spent it as a family at home.  It was nice to be casual but still enjoy a big feast with plenty of leftovers for the next week (or two!).  I made the potatoes and sweet potatoes yesterday so all I had to do today was pop the turkey in the oven, pull together a couple of salads and make the rolls.  I forgot the stuffing.  I remembered as we were getting ready to sit down at the table but when I mentioned it to Roy, he said, "Don't worry about it. You're the only one who eats it anyway."  This is true.  I may make some tomorrow to enjoy with my leftovers.  Easy to do since we are a Stovetop family.
The kids played nicely-ish all morning until we ate about 1.  Roy played with the kids.  It was fun to see him dancing with K and playing with A.  Baby C-man rolled around growling and yelling. D alternated between reading and playing.  We had Christmas tunes blasting.  It really was a good time.
After dinner the kids and Roy went to a park.  I laid on the couch.  It was very nice and quiet.
We have so much to be thankful for.  During dinner Roy was talking to the kids about what we can take with us when we die.  Not much - our faith, our spirits, our knowledge and the covenants we've made with God.  But the blankies and pillow pets and ice cream all stay here.  We talked about being grateful for what we have rather than wishing for what we don't have.  We also talked about when you have everything you don't need God - or you think you don't because you already have everything.  But that everything will not get you anywhere after this life.  I was reminded of a quote from Apostle David A. Bednar, " A grateful person is rich in contentment.  An ungrateful person suffers in the poverty of endless discontentment." (Windows of Heaven, Ensign 11/2013)
Given that discussion and thought I have resolved to focus more on my blessings and less on what I "need".  I'm so grateful for a wise spouse and loving children.  What a great family and a great day together!

No comments: