Roy, Sheena, D, K, A, C and L

Roy, Sheena, D, K, A, C and L

Visit My Friend Melanie -- She's AMAZING!

melaniesmethodicalmusings

Our Family Photographer

Our Family Photographer
Marissa Gifford Photography

Monday, August 4, 2008

One realllllly long post

Part One: Sacrament Meeting
Sunday, we don't have church until 1 pm (terrible time!). So we take our time getting ready. As soon as we walk through the door I remember again how much I hate to move but I keep pepping myself up to be friendly and smile at everyone. Things are going alright, just as to be expected. Several people talk to us before church starts, very friendly. Then it's sacrament time. First of all, there are children in this ward . . . somewhere. It is not totally silent, but fairly close. I swear my children are echoing through the room. K suddenly decides she wants to play with the older couple sitting behind us. When she wants someone to play with her she emits this loud, high-pitched, loud, throuty, loud yell. She is repeatedly doing this despite my efforts to shush her. When I move her she goes right back. If I try to hold her she is even louder with her complaints. The girl is nothing if not tenatious.
D, meanwhile, is actually being probably as quiet as he has ever been and yet I repeatedly shush him too. He is quiet but not silent.
The climax of our quiet, oh so reverent sacrament comes when D takes the water. I happen to notice there is one cup that is actually two cups stacked together. D reaches for a normal sacrament cup then notices the unusual one so he of course has to take that one. (I should preface the next part by pointing out the D has only ever really used paper sacrament cups and these are the plastic variety.) As is his custom, D pinches the base of the sacrament cup to crush it when he is finished. This results in the inner cup being launched at least 2 feet in the air and sailing onto the bench in front of us. Welcome to the ward.

Part Two: Making Friends
Finally we make it to Relief Society. I walk in determined to sit next to someone and make a friend. I must have been early. There were a few occupied seats but not many. The women who were there were mostly middle aged or more. Not that there's anything wrong with that but I really wanted to find some young mother type friends to have play groups with. I smile at a few people and finally sit one seat down from someone who I spoke with in Sacrament meeting. I say Hi. She smiles and talkes to the lady on the other side of her. Okay.
Of course being new I have to stand and introduce myself. Whatever. Someone else stands and introduces herself as being new too. She's young. Two small children. Sitting with another young mother. ALRIGHT!
During RS I determine to talk to the 2 sisters I noticed, then not, then yes, then I'm really hungry I should just go. I think one of the biggest reasons I did go talk to them was because I knew I would have to confess on here if I didn't. So I did talk to them. They were normal. We exchanged phone numbers and arranged a play date!! YIPEE!!

I WILL NOT LET MYSELF GET IN MY WAY OF MAKING NEW FRIENDS.

4 comments:

Valerie said...

Hahahaha! I love the "welcome to the ward"! I'm still laughing over it!

Hooray for moving outside of your comfort zone and talking to people...it's one of the hardest things to do, especially when you are the new one. I'm sooooo proud of you!

And I miss you.

Sheena said...

You're still laughing and so is the lady who was sitting behind us. I thought her husband was going to have to remove her for her own good.

Play group was good but really, I miss you and Melanie too. I need people who can stay up 'till midnight playing a silly game just because it is an excuse not to go home!

Melanie said...

Oh.....to be loved. It makes a person feel, well......loved. I find the same thing here. Plenty of girls. I just don't know if their husbands are the kinds that can part with them for more than an hour. I'm glad we got to spend that one last hurrah together. Somehow it made our bonds of the ya-ya sisterhood all that much tighter.

Keep trying with the friend thing. I find that life is more bearable with friends.

Valerie said...

Leatha says we're coming over for a roadtrip soon....I just have to do it before Ryan's school starts, but Caden's school starts on Tuesday, so it's just a matter of working out the timing with them and of course with you. How's mid-September look for you?