Roy, Sheena, D, K, A, C and L

Roy, Sheena, D, K, A, C and L

Visit My Friend Melanie -- She's AMAZING!

melaniesmethodicalmusings

Our Family Photographer

Our Family Photographer
Marissa Gifford Photography

Monday, September 22, 2008

Health Insurance

I have been trying for three months to get health insurance. This morning I had a conversation with a rep that pretty much sums up my experience with ANY health insurance person/company.
Background: We sent in an application THREE weeks ago for KP. When I say application, I mean books. We, really I, had to complete a 40 page book for. each. person. Even the baby. Yea. Anway, I called to check the status and found that it still hasn't been received. If not received by the 22 (today) we miss the deadline to have insurance for next month. Again. So after being on hold, I finally get a real live person.

Rep: *very bored, grumpy tone* ThankyouforcallingkpthisisasjklhowcanIhelpyou.
Me: Yes, I mailed my application over two weeks ago and it still hasn't been received.
Rep: So how can I help you?
Me: ummm, Well, why hasn't it been received.
Rep: Oh, it hasn't been received.
Me: Right.
Rep: *still bored,grumpy tone* Well, you probably didn't submit, you started filling it out and didn't click the submit button.
Me: Uh, actually I MAILED it. I can't apply online.
Rep: Let me do some checking.
**Exchange of personal info**Confirmation that I am indeed not in the computer.**
Me: So what do I do? I need insurance for October, I mailed it three weeks ago in your little postage paid envelope thingy. I've already been pushed back a month because I can't apply online and the mailed version didn't arrive in time.
Rep: It just has to be received by today, why don't you go online and apply.
Me: *frustrated sigh* (cuz, duh why didn't I think of that) I can't apply online. I've already done this. I've talked to tech support, I been that route and I can't do it because I'm in Washington.
Rep: Where did you go?
Me: KP.org
Rep: Did you register? Did you click the button?
seriously could it be that easy. i mean really, why didn't i think of that only 700 times
while I am filling out your ginormus amount of paperwork. obviously i must be the
idiot you think i am.
Me: I have tried it all. Really. I can't apply online because I'm in Washington. All I can do is open a PDF file to print.
like I'm going to print 40 pages per person on my printer that has to be manually fed
every single piece of paper.
at this point she keeps talking over me and asking me all about applying online like I am
some sort of imbicle who can't figure out their website. she was really not hiding how she
felt at all.
Rep: Would you like me to help you?
Me: *resigned to do this again* Sure.
Rep: Go to kp.org/care wow, same gosh-darn website as every. other. time.
Enter your zipcode yup
Click on the "How to apply" button whoa, really. whooda thunk it? why didn't I ever
think of that
Now just scroll down here....*silence*....Let me see .... *more silence*....Well .... uh..... it looks like.....Let me just check this....... *more silence*..... Ah, yes, I see you can't apply online because you are in Washington.
Me: silence (wow, really, no kidding, you mean I actually knew what I was talking about. Get outta town. Whoa.)
Rep: Well, your application has to be entered by today. It all has to be entered manually (because you didn't apply online) so it could take a while. Someone could be working on it. You could check back later in the week because if someone enters it the date would still be the date they began working on it.
Translation: I can't/won't do anything for you. Good luck Bozo.
Me: Thank you. Bye.

So why don't I go with Roy's work insurance? Because it costs at least $200 more a month depending on the plan. $700 a month is a heckva lot to pay for basic-not-that-great health insurance. At least it is to me.
I have done a ton of research and this is the best insurance for the money we can spend. However, I'm about to head back to the research board because if it's this hard to apply, how hard will it be to get a claim covered?!

8 comments:

Valerie said...

SERIOUSLY!

Melanie said...

FAGS......what are they thinking. I do, however, feel the same way each time I have to work with DSHS. It makes me want to preface the conversation with this:

"By the way, I did finish high school and even have an associates degree. I know that's more than you can say so if you talk down to me I am going to punch your lights out."

Maybe you should try that next time. It might work.

Rob and Shannon LaFontaine said...

I agree - insurance agents are a pain to talk to! However, I would like to question you on a different topic. Towards the beginning you mentioned even the 'baby' - are you pregnant? Or were you referring to K as the baby? I just want to make sure I didn't miss something and if I did miss something I want to know about it! :)

Josh n Betsie said...

i was thinking the same thing about "the Baby" I hate insurance also. But not anymore than talking to internet people. UGH!

Sheena said...

Shannon, Betsie: Uh, yeah, the baby is really the one year old. However, we would like to eventually have another baby IF WE CAN EVER GET INSURANCE!!!

Melanie: The reason we need insurance is because we finally don't qualify for DSHS! Yes! I could write an entire blog book on the 'issues' I've had with them.

Anonymous said...

How can i apply for health insurance to avail its benefits.

Sheena said...

anon: We went to ehealthinsurance.com which gave us a selection of tons of insurances to choose from. Then contact the company you want to go with and apply.

Anonymous said...

You can go to ICICI Lombard.com for online health insurance quotes, health insurance policy online. They offer a range of innovative policies to choose from. Health Insurance (known as Mediclaim) offers protection in case of unexpected medical emergencies. In case of a sudden illness or accident, the health insurance policy takes care of the hospitalization, medical and other costs incurred. Each plan offers something unique (in addition to the usual mediclaim policies) to suit your specific needs.