Roy, Sheena, D, K, A, C and L

Roy, Sheena, D, K, A, C and L

Visit My Friend Melanie -- She's AMAZING!

melaniesmethodicalmusings

Our Family Photographer

Our Family Photographer
Marissa Gifford Photography

Sunday, January 25, 2009

RS fanclubs and a product review

I am not in the fan club for the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer. I heard about the series nearly two years ago. For what ever reason - even though I enjoy reading fictional series - these books never really caught my interest. I looked at checking them out from the library a time or two just to see what the hype was but they were never available and I never bothered to put a hold on them. Anyway, now they are even more big time than ever. I've heard/read more than I ever cared to know about them. This has actually caused my interest in them to disappear entirely. So I can not contribute intelligibly into a Twilight conversation.
I am, however, securely in the Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen fan club (figurately speaking). I have looooooong been a fan of Pride and Prejudice - and several other Austen books- but now I have completed the orientation by watching the entire 6 hour BBC miniseries. *Sigh* Colin Firth.....
Really.
I have owned and viewed the newer P&P with Kiera Knightley many times. I think the miniseries and 2005 movie were done very well. Both times I start out thinking, "Seriously, they cast that man as the attractive Mr. Darcy?" But by the end of the movie I find myself thinking, "WOW! That Darcy is quite an attractive fellow."
Anyway, just thought you all should know where I stand on these two issues. Because whenever I am talking with a couple of LDS women there are two things sure to start conversation: Twilight and Pride and Prejudice the BBC Miniseries.

Product Review:
Elmer's Squeeze and Brush
(If I knew how to get a picture off the internet and put it on my blog it would be here...)
I have a 4-year-old who likes to paint. Alot. So when I saw these I thought I'd give them a try. The idea is that the paint is inside the brush, kind of like a marker. You just give it a little squeeze to get the paint out to the brush and begin painting.
It works. Unless you are trying to create the next Van Gogh. But if you are 4 and really only care about smearing as much paint around the paper as possible, it totally works. Also, the paint is washable (OR IT WOULDN'T BE IN MY HOUSE) so clean up is pretty easy. Oh yeah, and it's non-toxic if the 18 month old eats it she won't die. Just trust me on this.
Because a 4 year old and 18 month old were the testers, all five paint brushes ended up painting mostly a sickly brown by the time they were done. The brushes totally washed out and because the paint is inside the tubes above the brushes it actually stayed the original color. So even though the yellow was NOT painting yellow by the end of the event, it will paint yellow the next time we try (at least for a little while...)
So, if you are looking for a painting option, I say: Give it a try.

5 comments:

Valerie said...

Ha! I'm totally like that - resistance for the sake of resistance. I put off reading the Harry Potter series for that very reason and then ended up loving them once I finally gave in and read them.

Will you someday give in a read them? I have all four....I could mail them to you ;)

Melanie said...

I agree with you on both points.

I did borrow the Twilight series from Valerie and ended up reading 1-1/4 of them. I just couldn't get into them.

Now.......Pride and Prejudice, on the other had, I have read once and watched SEVERAL times. I love the miniseries. Rob gave it to me for my birthday last year along with many other BBC classics in what they call their "Romance Collection." The Kira Knightly version is okay but nothing compared to the 6 hr version.

Thanks for the consumer report. I am always a fan of others testing out products before I spend my money on them. ")

Macey said...

I'm sad to see you have not joined the "Twilight Zone". I have read them 3 times each and could go for it again. The movie was o.k. but I don't recommend it before reading the books. I was leary at first but read them because a friend asked me too. Glad I gave in. Now as for Harry Potter, I still have not given in. Pride & Prejudice--10 Stars, especially with Colin Firth.

Wendy said...

I'm telling you go gotta give them a try! When I heard what the books were about I was not interested in reading them at all. But since I find myself very bored at work at night I decided to see what all of the hype was about. I wasn't completely obsessed with them like a lot of people but they were pretty good reads. I saw the movie and then I totally became an obsessed fan- I am a very visual person:)

bigrig said...

hey i like that baby ticker thing!!! i added it on mine!!! no fair, you're winning!