Roy, Sheena, D, K, A, C and L

Roy, Sheena, D, K, A, C and L

Visit My Friend Melanie -- She's AMAZING!


Our Family Photographer

Our Family Photographer
Marissa Gifford Photography

Saturday, June 12, 2010

As promised...

Memorial Day was a special time and experience with the kids. I'm glad we were able to be in Delta for the program. The kids were able to witness a 21-gun salute and hear "Taps" play. D asked grandma why they were playing that song. She talked about how it is the song signaling time to retire for the night. She then went on to explain it is played to remind us about the soldiers who have died for out freedoms and 'retired for the night' of their lives. Er...she was a little more eloquent than that. We spent some time walking around and finding graves. D pointed out the flags flying near the graves of veterans.
Besides the family headstones we had to check out the old favorites: Mexican 1, 2, 3, 4; the headstone that looks like a pulpit; old headstones from the 1800's; etc. I witnessed the touching scene of an old man leaving flowers on the headstone of a baby that died in 1948. We met people who used to know my grandma and grandpa Bishop. We had a BBQ with Kent and Bonnie. Pretty much all that I had hoped it would be.
The next day was my birthday (and Uncle Trusty's! Happy Bday little brother). Mom took the kids and I 'up to Provo' to go shopping for clothes. Mom has recognized that I never get around to buying clothes for myself. There always seems to be something else to buy with the money. I really appreciate that my parents are still dressing me.
Wednesday morning we got up bright and early to head south. Time to visit the other grandparents in sunny Caliente! There are 10 acres of dirt, grass, kittens, dump trucks, real backhoes and fun. Making it even extra fun was the fact that some cousins were there visiting! Kittens and cousins. Really, what could be better.
We went swimming at Kershaw-Ryan on Wednesday. Thursday, we went on a 4-wheeler ride. Grandpa also took both D and K out in his backhoe. He let them dig holes in the dirt. D was in little boy heaven! Grandma read stories with D and did some puzzles (two of D's favorite activities). When it was time to leave D told me, "Why do we have to leave? I want to stay at Grandma's house for fourteen days!" A greater compliment could not have been given.
Thursday evening, we met Great-Grandma/pa J in Cedar for a picnic dinner. We also visited Kyle and Rachel (my cousins). I really wanted to check out their house. Everything is top-of-the-line-state-of-the-art circa 1960. It is awesome! From the built in blender on the kitchen countertop to the purple bathtub to the recessed, blue tile bathtub/font. It's seriously one-of-a-kind. But the amount of built-ins and storage.....I can only dream....
Anyway, back to Delta for a few more days of swimming, playing, sour cream fries and shakes, Dutchess dog, grandparents and Uncle Trusty.
We headed out for home early Tuesday morning. My plan was to drive as far as I could before stopping for the night. Turns out we made it all the way home, arriving shortly after 11 pm. It made for a 16 hour driving day, but at least we were done. The kids were better than anyone could imagine.
All told, we were gone for 13 days and put 2300 miles on the new van. It was so much fun. Thanks Grandmas and Grandpas!


Melanie said...

Sounds like you had a really good time. I LOVE visiting home. I'm glad your mamma bought you some clothes. Nothing like that to make a woman feel new. :)

Carol said...

It was so good to see you!! Glad you arrived home safe and sound! Love you!!