Roy, Sheena, D, K, A, C and L

Roy, Sheena, D, K, A, C and L

Visit My Friend Melanie -- She's AMAZING!

melaniesmethodicalmusings

Our Family Photographer

Our Family Photographer
Marissa Gifford Photography

Sunday, March 11, 2012

March 9

This was kind of a big day for our family.  In the morning, there was a green eggs and ham breakfast at D's school.  There is a restaurant here in town that sponsors a green eggs and ham breakfast for every first grader in the district.  They can't all be at the same time so ours was today.  Roy and I were both able to go but siblings weren't invited.  I dropped the girls off at a friend's house on the way.  Roy and I waited in the lunch room for his class to come in.  The kids all got hats as they came in the door.  We got our plate with very green scrambled eggs, half a ham slice, an apple, fruit roll-up and orange juice.
 
 After everyone ate, 5 kids from each 1st grade class presented a dance inspired by Dr. Seuss's "Foot Book".  D was one of the kids from his class.  I was way back in the cafeteria so I didn't get a close up shot but he is just right of the middle with a red hat on.  It was such a cute dance and I'm so proud of him for volunteering.  This is a big step up from where we've been in the past if you recall our previous experiences with primary programs.

Today was also Roy's 31st birthday.  The kids and I worked hard to get the house cleaned up and ready for a birthday party.  We just had a small family party this year.  Roy loves ice cream cake but we haven't bought one the last couple of years for various reasons.  This year I decided to try to make one.
It has a layer of chocolate ice cream on the bottom.  Then hot fudge sauce and oatmeal chocolate chip cookie dough layer topped with a vanilla ice cream layer.  Around the edges, holding everything in, are chocolate covered wafer cookies.  The top has Magic Shell chocolate with Whoppers pressed into it before it gets hard.  Needless to say, it wasn't as smooth or as easy as it seemed in my head but it worked out great I think.
 K had been practicing singing 2 happy birthday songs -- regular Happy Birthday to You and the primary song that starts "Happy happy birthday children dear".  All the kids did great singing to daddy.  I wish I'd gotten it on video but I just have pictures.
During the second song, K grabbed Roy's face to make sure he  knew she was singing to him!
We opened presents (a bathroom scale! WhoopWhoop!) and went to bed early.  Roy told me it was a perfect birthday.  I'm so lucky to have such a great husband.  I'm also lucky my kids have such a great dad! We love you, Roy!

1 comment:

Melanie said...

That cake looks yummy! Happy Birthday Roy!