Roy, Sheena, D, K, A, C and L

Roy, Sheena, D, K, A, C and L

Visit My Friend Melanie -- She's AMAZING!

melaniesmethodicalmusings

Our Family Photographer

Our Family Photographer
Marissa Gifford Photography

Friday, August 27, 2010

Last Day of Jump Start

The kids were going to put on a little show for their parents at the end of their last day of Jump Start. I was late. When I walked in the kids were already singing. D was okay up there for the first minute or two but he gradually melted down for all to see. To his credit, he stayed up by his class until they were done singing. Then his teacher motioned for him to come down to me. He ran to me and clung to my side. You can't imagine my pangs of guilt when he asked me why I was late!
The kids all had to return to their classrooms with their teachers. D didn't want to go but he did. He is getting so much better and doing what needs to be done, even if he doesn't want to. The girls and I went out to the playground to wait for the kids to come out. They came out and got a special treat (popsicles) before being excused.
D was still sad and upset. He was worried because I didn't get to see his classroom. We asked his teacher if we could go in and of course she said yes. We went in and saw his room.
D hugged his teacher probably 15 times before we finally left. As we were walking back to the van, he started losing it again. He told me he was sad to leave his teacher. He wishes jump start could last for all of kindergarten. He is sad that he will never see Mrs. Y again. (She doesn't actually teach at his school. She works for the district in the early intervention preschool.)
I tried to pep talk him out of it. We talked about how great Mrs. Y was and I know he will miss her. It is hard to leave people you love. Now we get to know a new teacher and she will be great too. You know, the pep talk.
I love D and I'm so proud of him going to school. I am also so glad that he is quick to love and quick to forgive. I hope he is always able to love people.

No comments: