Roy, Sheena, D, K, A, C and L

Roy, Sheena, D, K, A, C and L

Visit My Friend Melanie -- She's AMAZING!

melaniesmethodicalmusings

Our Family Photographer

Our Family Photographer
Marissa Gifford Photography

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Long ramblings about nothing much

Today I went to D's school to help in the classroom. I really like being able to do that. This was only my second time but I totally want to go more. I helped with math groups (we were practicing tally marks :) and making 'warm fuzzies' to put on posters. Warm fuzzies is an exercise where the students write one nice thing about a class member on a little fuzzy cartoon guy. Then they attach these fuzzies to a poster for each class member. It is a good writing activity plus it makes them evaluate and determine something positive to say about another student. The most common thing written today? "His nis" For those of you who don't speak kindergarten-spanish/english dual learning-ese that is: "He's nice" Deep.

Last night was young women's night and I helped out with the Beehives (12-13 yos). We were making Christmas pillowcases as per a thing Tyce found online. Tyce and I picked out the fabric yesterday morning. It was . . . . interesting to watch the girls sew. The cases all turned out great but each was a unique creation. I had to explain technical sewing machine terms like: "the foot" or "bobbin" or "that knob over there on the side". Really, it was fun.
The Mia Maids (14-15 yos) babysat for FREE so parents could have a night out. One family took advantage of this. ONE FAMILY!! If I didn't have to be at mutual, I sooo would have sent my kids. Even if I dropped them off at the church and sat in my car reading a book for an hour, I WOULD HAVE DONE IT. There's no accounting for these things. The Laurels (16-18 yos) ate food prepared especially for them by the Priests (16-18 yo boys). The delicacies served were egg rolls and chocolate moouse. It is a combination that makes you tilt your head and say, "Huh." Go ahead. Apparently it was good although no one thought to bring some down to the beehives.

A has learned a very important new word/sound. It goes something like this, "Uh uhhh" usually accompanied by a little head shake. That's right she has learned how to actually say "no" in a way that doesn't involve throwing or crying. And she's not afraid to use it.
Me: "Ready for a nap?" A: "Uh uhhh"
Me: "Want to snuggle?" A: "Uh uhhhh"
Me: "Are you a sweetie?" A: "Uh uhhh"
And when she says it you almost can't tell it is supposed to be one word because she puts so much effort behind it. Inhale short "Uh", long pause for air to circulate body, exhale long "uhhhh". She is so sweet it makes my teeth hurt.

K/Wyatt/"AlftaPig" is still a walking super hero in her own esteem. Better than a squirrel.

1 comment:

Marissa said...

Glad you had fun in D's class. I can't wait to get back into Mister's class after the baby comes. And I can't believe no one else took advantage of free babysitting! Am I the only one who can't wait to get rid of her kids for a couple of hours? I mean really, I only went to Target and Walmart, but it was a TOTALLY different experience being there ALONE! :) And egg rolls and chocolate mousse, huh? Hmmm.... sounds like a pregnancy craving. :)