Roy, Sheena, D, K, A, C and L

Roy, Sheena, D, K, A, C and L

Visit My Friend Melanie -- She's AMAZING!


Our Family Photographer

Our Family Photographer
Marissa Gifford Photography

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Something on our minds

Lately I've been thinking about D's educational future. See, D is smart. I hesitate everytime I say that because it sound so much like I'm bragging about my child. And I am proud of him, but really it is a statement of fact. It doesn't mean that other kids aren't smart or that there aren't kids out there smarter than D. It just means he is smart.
We are fortunate to life in a school district that has a lot of options for kids. Currently D is attending our home school which offers a Spanish/English Dual Language program. He is been learning some subjects in Eng and some in Span. This has been cool. He can now read in 2 languages.
However, a few months ago I applied to have D tested for the "Challenge Program" that our district offers. Honestly, I did it more for my curiousity than anything else. He's doing okay where he's at and I don't feel a great desire to drive him to another school everyday when he can ride the bus with his friends. It wasn't until I got the results back from his day of testing that I began to think maybe he would go into CP.
See, in order to qualify a child has to have a 90 or better on any one of 3 tests. D's lowest score was 92. Keep in mind, these aren't percent scores, these are percentile scores. So I started to think maybe CP might be a better place for him. I am worried about his love for school to diminish. It naturally does in most children anyway, but when everything is "easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy" he might start to wonder "what is the point?".
Roy and I went to a parent meeting at the school D would be attending. We met his teacher and learned more about this particular school's arrangement. It is an old school built in an open classroom style. After the meeting, I was feeling more and more like this is the place for D. I've also been asking parents of kids who are in the program and parents who opted not to put their kids in. I've been really trying to figure this out.
During this time, D has been going back and forth about what he wants to do. He is really sad to not go to school with his neighborhood friends. He told me the other day, "Mom, if I go to the CP I'll never see Fedya, Austin or Riley again!" Uh.... since they all live within a block of us I don't think that will really be a problem.
Today, the school had a meet and greet of sorts for potential students to come visit the classroom and meet some of the current students. We went. After we got back to the car -- an hour later -- D was literally bouncing. "I can't wait to go to the CP!!" So, yeah. I think that's our final decision. for now.


Melanie said...

Wow...that is a duzy of a decision. Just pray about it. It'll all work out.

Candi said...

Sheena, that sounds great! I don't know if this will apply or not, but have you read "Boys Adrift" by Leonard Sax? It talks a lot about boys and education. I don't know that it will help you decide one way or the other for this situation, but Brian and I really liked what he had to say. Good luck!