Roy, Sheena, D, K, A, C and L

Roy, Sheena, D, K, A, C and L

Visit My Friend Melanie -- She's AMAZING!

melaniesmethodicalmusings

Our Family Photographer

Our Family Photographer
Marissa Gifford Photography

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Surprise!!

Last night was a special night. In all our years of marriage, I've never thrown a party for Roy's birthday. We've done the family thing with cake, singing and presents but never a party to invite his friends to. So this year, being that he turned 30, I decided to have a surprise party.
I've been planning this for quite a while. I had several party ideas but finally went with the tried and true potluck dinner at our house. I planned a mexican theme because Roy loves mexican food. I invited 23 couples and started cleaning.
Last night was the culmination of all my effort. I arranged for a partner at Roy's firm to 'hold'
Roy there until 6 -- couldn't have him coming home early! People started coming at 5:30. By 6 I had a house full of people (13 total) and my kids farmed out the the neighbors. Roy came in the garage door and started up the stairs. "Surprise!!" and he was!
He had no idea. It was awesome! He went around and shook everyone's hand and greeted everyone. We ate an amazing dinner with good friends. We had brownie sundaes for dessert. It was really a lot of fun. By 8 everyone had pretty much gone home. We got our kids back and put them to bed. Then an old law school buddy, Sean Currie, came over to visit. He hadn't been able to come earlier but it has been over a year since he's visited so he came anyway. It was fun. More fun for Roy and Sean. I mostly laughed and groaned inwardly as they rehashed old professors, laughed at legal stuff I don't understand, and talked about terribly interesting things like the UCC and bankrupcy and debtor's exams and such. Really, a very successful evening.

No comments: